Tired of learning languages from tame textbooks? Some musings on second (and third, and fourth...) language learning from a geeky linguaphile.

Tuesday, June 28, 2005

David Moser writes about Why Chinese is So Damn Hard.

I'm currently displaying that variety of insanity known as "Hey! Wouldn't it be cool to know Chinese?"; I should have known I was vulnerable after the debacle of "Hey! Wouldn't it be cool to know classical Japanese?"

And I think he just might have a point--something I'm reluctant to admit, considering I'm so ready to defend the peculiarities of the Japanese writing system. But while people faint at two different alphabets plus a couple thousand characters, I think it works quite nicely, in a rhythm of content words and functional words or verbal endings marked by hiragana, katakana, and kanji. In Chinese, you have a wall of text. And that makes it excruciatingly hard to jump in and read materials that are above one's level... if you can't make out at least the large majority of the characters, you can't push forward anyway. Dictionary lookup takes forever. (So too with Japanese, but for a long time I stuck with manga, annotated on the side with furigana to mark the pronunciations of words, so it was easy to look up words phonetically).

So the Chinese writing system is hard. But one thing my linguistics professors drilled into me is that a language--linguistically speaking--is the spoken language, and the written language is just a more-or-less flawed way of transcribing it. Mandarin Chinese, the spoken language, shouldn't be all that hard. And this is part of the rationale in some methods of teaching Japanese, for not teaching even hiragana in the first semester, but doing everything orally (hopefully not with romaji). In my case it's certainly true that I have to learn words as spoken words before I have any hope of retaining them as kanji compounds.

The problem is, unless you live in a country where the language is spoken, it's awfully hard to get enough aural learning materials. (This assumes, of course, that you don't have access to classes. Those are ideal, but at the moment I'm on my own). You can get language tapes, which take you up to maybe a low intermediate level, and you can order CDs, and you can listen to internet radio, but overall your resources are a lot more limited. It's easier to find books, internet texts, and so forth. As of now, I don't even get TV in Spanish--though local cable offers two Spanish channels in basic cable, and I'm getting hooked up soon.

There are other advantages to reading--it's faster, it's much easier to look things up in the dictionary because the words stay put, it's easier to find something that caters to your interests, and the vocabulary can potentially be more varied. (If I learned all my Spanish from Buffy, I'd be able to say very little except "I love you," "I'm sorry," "Let's kill it," and "high school.") But it's much harder with Chinese.

So I'm proceeding with language tapes on my iPod, which I dutifully transcribe with a dictionary, and easy readers from the school library. I'm following the annoying proscribed path of study, with "Where is the restaurant?" and "My name is..."--but it's giving me enough characters so that, by the time I'm finished, maybe I'll have enough basic knowledge to try tackling a real text with a dictionary. Also, I'm going up to Montreal this week, where I can pick up some manga and Mandarin CDs.

I'll update when I have a better idea of how it's going.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, it IS cool to know classical Japanese!

I'm with you on the Japanese writing. I think it's set up brilliantly. Reading things all in kana or (shudder) Romaji is torture for me now. Even the initial "don't know enough kanji" hurdle is lowered by the furigana system, which combines the neatness of standard written Japanese with the 100% intelligibility of kana.

In my case it's certainly true that I have to learn words as spoken words before I have any hope of retaining them as kanji compounds.

Maybe because I read so much, but I go the other way -- I can recognise and understand a lot of words in kanji that I've forgotten how to pronounce. Once you've figured out why those characters convey that meaning, it's hard to forget, but remembering if it's a しょう or a そう and all those other intricacies is a lot harder. (Being able to speak really fast helps me cover this up in spoken contexts.)

4:54 AM

 
Blogger Emily said...

Maybe because I read so much, but I go the other way -- I can recognise and understand a lot of words in kanji that I've forgotten how to pronounce.

That happens to me as well to some extent. It's particularly true for the vocabulary that tends to crop up in the embarrassing teen novels I read by the boxload when I was in Japan, because I didn't look anything up while reading, but when pressed I wouldn't say I really "understood" those words--I just picked up a vague sense of what they meant from context.

It's true that I don't read nearly enough these days in Japanese. I gotta rectify that.

8:23 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice post. bank of american

8:36 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

nike free, christian louboutin outlet, louboutin outlet, ray ban sunglasses, tiffany and co, chanel handbags, oakley sunglasses, prada outlet, longchamp, gucci outlet, oakley sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, louboutin shoes, polo ralph lauren outlet, kate spade outlet, oakley sunglasses, tiffany jewelry, ralph lauren pas cher, michael kors, nike outlet, ray ban sunglasses, replica watches, air max, ugg boots, replica watches, prada handbags, louis vuitton outlet, uggs on sale, jordan shoes, nike air max, louboutin, nike free, ugg boots, nike roshe run, longchamp pas cher, louboutin pas cher, louis vuitton, cheap oakley sunglasses, sac longchamp, tory burch outlet, louis vuitton outlet, nike air max, air jordan pas cher, longchamp outlet, oakley sunglasses, longchamp outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, burberry, louis vuitton, louis vuitton

11:47 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

nike free, christian louboutin outlet, louboutin outlet, ray ban sunglasses, tiffany and co, chanel handbags, oakley sunglasses, prada outlet, longchamp, gucci outlet, oakley sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, louboutin shoes, polo ralph lauren outlet, kate spade outlet, oakley sunglasses, tiffany jewelry, ralph lauren pas cher, michael kors, nike outlet, ray ban sunglasses, replica watches, air max, ugg boots, replica watches, prada handbags, louis vuitton outlet, uggs on sale, jordan shoes, nike air max, louboutin, nike free, ugg boots, nike roshe run, longchamp pas cher, louboutin pas cher, louis vuitton, cheap oakley sunglasses, sac longchamp, tory burch outlet, louis vuitton outlet, nike air max, air jordan pas cher, longchamp outlet, oakley sunglasses, longchamp outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, burberry, louis vuitton, louis vuitton

1:35 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home