Tired of learning languages from tame textbooks? Some musings on second (and third, and fourth...) language learning from a geeky linguaphile.

Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Pop music

I've been listening to Japanese pop music since I first started learning Japanese--I was an anime fan, so I got to hear the theme songs every time I watched an episode, and it was easy to find lyrics online. After a year of self-studying, I talked to a teacher to see if I could place out of Japanese 1, and she said my pronunciation was quite good for someone who'd been self-studying--I can only credit that to singing "Cruel Angel's Thesis" at the top of my lungs more times than I'd care to mention.

The thing about language tapes is that you can only listen to them for so long. They're kind of boring and don't have much variety. But music, ah... if there's a song I like I can listen to it time and time again. I'm lucky enough to have an iPod, so I've loaded a lot of foreign music onto it, and I listen to it while I'm at work. I find it really good for getting down the sounds of the language in my head.

It does have to be pop music at first, I think. It's harder to make out the lyrics when you're listening to rap or rock. Pop tends to have very simplistic lyrics, but at first, that's a good thing. It's nice to be able to catch phrases and verses and know what they mean.

Some language-specific recommendations:
In French I like Patricia Kaas, Les Nubians, Serge Gainsbourg, Edith Piaf. (Okay, I know these are WAY obvious, but I learned most of my French before I got interested in music at all).
In Spanish, La Ley, Enanitos Verdes, and maybe Mana--Mana's kind of cheesy, but it IS fun to sing "Eres tu ma religion."
In Japanese, Megumi HAYASHIBARA, Maaya SAKAMOTO, anime theme music. I like Luna Sea as well. Shiina RINGO writes fantastic lyrics, but she often uses obscure words and archaic grammar, so I wouldn't recommend her to beginners.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was listening to Japanese music and watching Japanese movies/animation long before I officially started studying Japanese. So yeah, by the time I enrolled in a Japanese class, I already had the sound of it in my head and could kinda correct myself if I made a major pronunciation error. It's just like you described! I had all these random Japanese phrases (whose meanings I didn't know!)running around my head, and then when I learned their meaning everything just snapped into place. Haha when people give me weird looks for bumping Korean gangster-rap, I just tell 'em it's my language learning aid! Anyway, I found your blog through No-Sword, very interesting posts! :D

10:42 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

nike free, christian louboutin outlet, louboutin outlet, ray ban sunglasses, tiffany and co, chanel handbags, oakley sunglasses, prada outlet, longchamp, gucci outlet, oakley sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, louboutin shoes, polo ralph lauren outlet, kate spade outlet, oakley sunglasses, tiffany jewelry, ralph lauren pas cher, michael kors, nike outlet, ray ban sunglasses, replica watches, air max, ugg boots, replica watches, prada handbags, louis vuitton outlet, uggs on sale, jordan shoes, nike air max, louboutin, nike free, ugg boots, nike roshe run, longchamp pas cher, louboutin pas cher, louis vuitton, cheap oakley sunglasses, sac longchamp, tory burch outlet, louis vuitton outlet, nike air max, air jordan pas cher, longchamp outlet, oakley sunglasses, longchamp outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, burberry, louis vuitton, louis vuitton

11:48 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

nike free, christian louboutin outlet, louboutin outlet, ray ban sunglasses, tiffany and co, chanel handbags, oakley sunglasses, prada outlet, longchamp, gucci outlet, oakley sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, louboutin shoes, polo ralph lauren outlet, kate spade outlet, oakley sunglasses, tiffany jewelry, ralph lauren pas cher, michael kors, nike outlet, ray ban sunglasses, replica watches, air max, ugg boots, replica watches, prada handbags, louis vuitton outlet, uggs on sale, jordan shoes, nike air max, louboutin, nike free, ugg boots, nike roshe run, longchamp pas cher, louboutin pas cher, louis vuitton, cheap oakley sunglasses, sac longchamp, tory burch outlet, louis vuitton outlet, nike air max, air jordan pas cher, longchamp outlet, oakley sunglasses, longchamp outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, burberry, louis vuitton, louis vuitton

1:35 AM

 
Blogger deraz said...

خدمات الشارقة – قمر الامارات
شركة مكافحةحشرات فى الشارقة
شركة مكافحة الحمام فى الشارقة

5:20 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home